Modern farmhouse style is a huge influence on kitchens right now. HGTV’s “Fixer Upper” propelled this warm and welcoming look into our kitchens in a big way. To achieve this style, it’s important to start with the must-have elements before bringing in your own creative touches. Once you nail the basics of modern farmhouse style, you can personalize it with your own color palette. Below, we outline eight easy tips for adding your own colorful accents while keeping a relaxed and rustic vibe.
Modern farmhouse style must-haves
- Rustic architectural features like open beams, wood floors and unfinished mantels are the most recognizable elements of the modern farmhouse design.
- White or light neutral colors are the most common palette.
- Furniture is often artisan-created or designed with a craftsmen-like appearance.
- Lighting should be the most modern element of the room, using lustrous metals.
1. Start with colorful cabinets
White- and wood-toned cabinets are still wildly popular, but more colorful options like gray and navy blue are storming the scene. These colors can anchor your modern farmhouse kitchen. Two-toned cabinetry, usually white over gray or navy blue, creates interest in a kitchen that lacks architectural features.